June 19, 2011

Blueberry Mint Scones







Inspired by a lovely book I received from a dear friend in Ireland, today I bring you the summer Blueberry Mint Scone!  This weekend I interviewed  Triple Delight Blueberries vendor at the Grand Lake Farmers Market (video in production), which is where I got my inspiration for this recipe. I also wanted to add some fresh mint from my garden, and it turned out to be just the perfect compliment.
The challenging part was making the right combination of ingredients. The writer did not have a recipe for fresh fruit scones as these, so I really had to be creative. Here is the best combination of ingredients after much experimenting.
I used Bob Red Mills unbleached flour, Rumford Baking Powder that comes without aluminum, and unpasteurized raw whole organic milk and butter.  I think these choices made the scones extra fluffy and delicate. 
They are quick and easy to make once you have all the ingredient. I spent no more than 30 minutes total time.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit

Ingredient List 

1 cup of flour
4 Tablespoons of softened butter
2 Teaspoons of baking power
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
1/2 cup of whole milk
1/2 cup of blueberries
10 leaves of mint (approximately)

Take a cookie tray and line it with parchment paper. Next sift flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Add softened butter and mix in milk. If the mixture is too moist, add a dash of flour until doughy consistency, which is not too runny. Next, add whole blueberries, and mint leaves that have been torn into smaller bites. Gently mix with a mixing spoon. I kneaded the mixture right in the bowl, by covering my hands with more flour, or you can flour a flat surface and knead to bring the dough together. Do not over knead. I took a cooking spoon, and make small cakes which I placed on a cookie sheet. It made 7 medium-sized scones. but if you scoop a smaller quantity, you can get double the recipe. Bake for 8-10 minutes if smaller, or 12 minutes if medium-sized. Generally until lightly browned and cooked through.

Enjoy with tea or coffee for breakfast, or as an afternoon snack!  No adult or child can resist these Blueberry Mint Scones.

Happy Summer Solstice 2011 to you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment