June 03, 2021

Italian Orange Cake

Hello foodies and Italian lovers! 

Perhaps a few of you know of my love for Italy. The country is so rich with history, culture, incredible architecture, that romantic language, and of course the food! Having found out about my 12% Italian ancestry, I'm even more proud to speak of my amore for the dolci vita! 

I recently learned that this Italian orange cake is often eaten in Sicily for breakfast. Isn't that decadent?! Here is my version of this cake without gluten. You can replace gluten-free flours with two cups of regular baking flour. Also, I mention the grapeseed oil in this recipe, but you can certainly use butter and it will turn out just as great. I think the main secret for this cake is plenty of orange zest. If you think you have done enough, do more! I went very gentle on the sugar, but if you want an extra sweet cake, add a full cup of sugar. 

Ingredients

2 cups of gluten-free flour

1/2 cup of tapioca flour

1/4 cup of pinenuts

3/4 cups of brown sugar

3 eggs 

1/4 cup of cream (or milk)

1/4 cup of fresh-squeezed orange juice 

1 Tablespoon of orange zest (or More!) 

1/4 teaspoon of baking powder

1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon of salt 

1 Tablespoon of powdered sugar for dusting the cake. 


Preheat oven to 355 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter your pan. 

I used a bunt cake pan, but a round cake pan will also do the trick. 

In a large bowl beat the eggs and sugar together. Next, add the oil or butter. Then, slowly add the cream, orange juice, orange zest, pinenuts, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and flour(s). 


Pour batter into baking pan. Bake for 50 minutes. Once cooled for 10-15 minutes dust with powdered sugar. My hubby and I enjoyed it warm out of the oven because we couldn't wait to try it. So delicious! 

We stored it in the refrigerator in a covered container. The next day we warmed slices in the toaster oven and ate them with butter and orange marmalade with our coffee. Thank goodness for the Sicilians!  


Buon appetito! ~Tarabud



No comments:

Post a Comment